The Purpose Of The Course
Through the training, participants will gain the knowledge, skills and ability to become culturally competent. They will develop a deeper understanding of how their culture can create bias towards others and how culture affects worldview. Participants will gain a greater understanding of how cultural competency can be applied at all levels of the organisation.
This course will support all staff to gain knowledge and understanding of the issues around culture and how this might influence the quality of service they provide.
This training provides the opportunity for staff to reflect and review their own practice and be more confident in dealing with cultural issues.
Benefits For Your Organisation
This cultural competence course is a natural progression from our cultural awareness course and examines cultural issues in greater depth.
People often confuse the terms cultural awareness and competency. This course will explain the difference and delegates will understand cultural competence and the skills needed to be attained to ensure it becomes a reality in order for your organisation to benefit fully.
- What is Cultural Competence?
- The Six Stages of Cultural Competence
- What are Cultural Competence Skills?
- Filters and self-awareness
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Barriers to effective Cross-Cultural Communication
- Strategies for effective Cross-Cultural Communication
- Case studies
- Creating an action plan for cultural competence
By The End Of The Course Delegates Will Be Able To:
- Define cultural competency
- Identify how cultural competency can be applied in your role and in organisations
- Deal more effectively with cultural differences
- Recognise features in cross-cultural communication
- Develop strategies to combat ‘culture shock’